There’s nothing like fresh asparagus when it’s in season – take advantage! Asparagus is a nutritional STAR that’s high in fibre, with lots of vitamins and minerals. This recipe is so simple and fast, and a big favourite in my house. It’s great any time of year, as a quick warm snack, or as part of a lunch or dinner.
Keep this in mind – I recently read that eating soup before a meal can lead to consuming less calories overall. Another reason to love soup, right? So grab your spoon and get sippin’! Mmm …
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- 1 large leek, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 Lbs asparagus
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp chipotle pepper
- 10 cups reduced sodium chicken stock
( I like to use homemade stock – check out my last blog post to learn more!)
- Prep asparagus: wash and cut and discard woody ends. Cut asparagus tips and reserve.
- Heat avocado oil and sautee leeks and garlic.
- Add in chopped carrots, potatoes and asparagus.
- Cover with chicken stock, approx 10 cups (note you can use half water and half chicken stock).
- Simmer for 20 – 25 mins.
- Add in seasonings.
- Take soup off heat and blend with immersion blender.
- Quickly steam asparagus tips in the microwave (place in micowave safe bowl, 1/4 cup water, microwave for 5 mins).
- Top soup with cooked asparagus tips.
- Serve and enjoy!