There’s nothing like fresh asparagus when it’s in season – take advantage! Asparagus is a nutritional STAR that’s high in fibre, with lots of vitamins and minerals. This recipe is so simple and fast, and a big favourite in my house. It’s great any time of year, as a quick warm snack, or as part of a lunch or dinner.
Keep this in mind – I recently read that eating soup before a meal can lead to consuming less calories overall. Another reason to love soup, right? So grab your spoon and get sippin’! Mmm …
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- 1 large leek, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 Lbs asparagus
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp chipotle pepper
- 10 cups reduced sodium chicken stock
( I like to use homemade stock – check out my last blog post to learn more!)
- Prep asparagus: wash and cut and discard woody ends. Cut asparagus tips and reserve.
- Heat avocado oil and sautee leeks and garlic.
- Add in chopped carrots, potatoes and asparagus.
- Cover with chicken stock, approx 10 cups (note you can use half water and half chicken stock).
- Simmer for 20 – 25 mins.
- Add in seasonings.
- Take soup off heat and blend with immersion blender.
- Quickly steam asparagus tips in the microwave (place in micowave safe bowl, 1/4 cup water, microwave for 5 mins).
- Top soup with cooked asparagus tips.
- Serve and enjoy!
I love soup and could eat it every day for every meal! It is so versatile, and the flavour combinations and ingredients are endless! The amazing thing about soup is that, in general, they are low-calorie and packed with nutritious goodness. They can be a lunch, a dinner, a snack, and can be super filling! The chicken soup that I’m sharing with you here is a classic recipe, and good to use for chicken noodle soup, holidays (including upcoming Passover), matzah ball soup, and serves as a great chicken stock base for other soup recipes. Enjoy!
- 4 chicken quarters – drumstick and thigh
- Chicken bones (if you can find at your local store) this will make a richer broth
- 4-6 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 leek, trim top and bottom, slice lengthwise 1/2 way (do not cut full way through)
- Flat leaf parsley
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place chicken and chicken bones in a large stock pot and cover with water, approx 16 – 18 cups
Remember to skim the foam to make your soup as clean as can be!
- Boil on medium heat, for about 15 mins.
- Skim the foam and particles that rise to the surface of the water. Repeat until it has all been removed as best as you can.
- Reduce heat to a low simmer and add in the remaining ingredients (except salt and pepper).
- Cook for 2 hours.
- Add in a small bunch of flat leaf parsley 30 min before cooking is done.
- And salt and pepper to desired taste.
- Allow broth to cool, and put through a mesh strainer into another pot.
- Reserve carrots and shred chicken off the bone.
- Serve with shredded chicken, carrots, noodles, matzah balls, dumplings, etc.
- Also freezes great for on hand chicken stock for cooking needs or as a base for other soups!