I’m back with a hearty but healthy recipe just perfect for fall! My Paleo Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie is a delicious take on the traditional shepherd’s pie, and one that the whole family will love, guaranteed. This is comfort food made healthy at its best!
The sweet potato adds a nice subtle sweetness with the other savory ingredients for a winner weeknight dinner – Mmm…
New! Click below to watch a video of this recipe on my YouTube Channel! Like and Subscribe!
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 sweet onion
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrot stalks, diced
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- 2 Tbs coconut aminos
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup water (or chicken or beef broth)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 3 – 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- Preheat oven to 375C
- Peel and chop the sweet potato, place in pot and cover with water
- Boil until tender – approximately 15 – 20 min, depending on size of pieces
- While the sweet potatoes are boiling, make the filling for the pie
- Dice onion, carrot and celery
- In skillet, I use cast iron, heat coconut oil and sautee onions, carrots and celery. Season with salt
- Add in ground chicken and cook until browned
- Add in tomato paste, coconut aminos, ¼ cup water and all other seasonings
- Cook on low for 10 min
- Spray 8×11 baking dish with non cook spray.
- Place filling in baking dish
- Strain water from sweet potato, and reserve approx. 1/4 cup.
- With a hand blender, blend sweet potato with coconut milk and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Spread sweet potato on filling, sprinkle top with paprika
- Bake in 375 oven for 20 min.
- Cool and serve.
- Also freezes great for another week! #mealprep